Apex Magazine is a bi-monthly science fiction, fantasy, and horror magazine featuring original, mind-bending short fiction from many of the top pros of the field. New issues are released on the first Tuesday of every other month.
Subscriptions are available annually for $24.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Our magazine is an SFWA-certified professional market.
Editor-in-Chief: Jason Sizemore
Managing Editor: Lesley Conner
Special Fiction Editor: Maurice Broaddus
1) Submit your work in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format.
2) Maximum word length is a firm 7,500 words. Anything more will be auto-rejected.
3) Payment for original fiction is $.08 per word up to 7,500 words. Minimum of $50.
4) If we podcast your story, additional payment is $.01 per word up to 7,500 words.
5) Apex Magazine welcomes and encourages submissions from writers of all race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and military status. We want diverse voices. We value diverse voices. Having said that, please be aware that we do not collect any information that might clue our editors to any of these attributes other than your name, email, and address prior to any decisions made regarding your submission.
Stories submitted by email or sent via the postal service will be disposed of unread.
We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
Our policy on work published to Patreon is that the story will be treated as a reprint and will be paid at our reprint rate. If you're a pro-level writer with a Patreon (by SFWA affiliate standards), and you have a story you'd like us to consider, please query first.
We currently do not publish poetry.
No simultaneous submissions. No multi-submissions for short fiction. We try to respond to all submissions within 30 days. Works under consideration by Jason and Lesley may take longer up to six months.